Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Welcome!!


Hello Everyone,

My name is Marco Gonzalez. I am 25 years old and work as a Tutor for children with Autism. I really enjoy my job as a tutor because I am not only helping the children learn, but also teach me something new everyday. I am currently a student at Brandman University where I am working on my Bachelors degree in Psychology. My short term goals are to graduate within the next year and start working on my ABA program so that I can become a program supervisor for teaching children with Autism how to redirect their maladaptive behaviors. My long term goals are to get my Masters and Ph.D in Behavior Psychology as well as take the exam for my BCBA. I also hope to one day open a place where i can help families and children learn to deal with their psychological disorders.


Ultimately, for a career path, I have decided that I want to become a Behavioral Psychologist/ Therapist. I love the aspect of helping families and children overcome their behaviors and redirect the maladaptive behaviors in order to keep their behaviors from taking over their lives. I also love the fact of understanding more about the behaviors that people experience with the different types of psychological and physiological disorders. I have spent countless hours and semesters in school researching various types of disorders but have always found it difficult to find exactly what I  need. In order to make my research more successful, I feel that I need to improve my skills in deciding which internet sources provide legitimate information and which sites are completely false.  I want to better my skills at using the library and research database to find articles that are relevant to my research. If I master these skills I will not only become better at finding sources for my research topics, but I will have also improved my approach when it comes to doing research.




"We teach people that they upset themselves. We can't change the past, so we change how people are thinking, feeling and behaving today." - Albert Ellis


3 comments:

  1. Hi Marco! Your future goals are very admirable. Being ABA trained makes you a valuable asset and will help you advance quickly. I too have found that I am never exactly able to find what I am looking for on the disorders I am researching. I look forward to learning new research techniques to help with this endeavor as I seek new ways to redirect, as you put it, those maladaptive behaviors. I have found Down Syndrome especially difficult to research in regards to education and could definitely use some help developing the best research techniques to hopefully find what I have been looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marco. Totally forgot to add my full name to the post. Hope you are doing well.

      Julia Jacobson

      Delete