Sunday, September 22, 2013

Researching Books (Week 3)


 Autism Spectrum Disorder

Researching a topic takes plenty of time and patience, but sources are more than just journals and articles, true and accurate research includes books! As i mentioned before I was doing research on Autism: what causes Autism, what are the treatments, and more importantly understanding how the disorder works in society and in the home. 

Autism is a misunderstood disorder that often gets misdiagnosed as ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder), but Autism is much more than just a disorder its a learning experience. After many hours of research I decided to use the Brandman University Library, where there I typed in the key words of autism and causes. Once the search was complete I found the book Autism Spectrum Disorders: Interventions and Treatments for Children and Youth.  This book was exactly what I was looking for because it not only talked about Autism, but it talked about children and young adults with autism and the best form of treatments for them. 

Finding these books was not easy because I had a list of books on Autism that seemed to never end, but after refining my research many times I finally came across another book named Understanding Autism: From basic Neuroscience to Treatment, by typing in the search engine the keywords of Autism and Treatments. I found this book interesting because it talks about what in the brain causes Autism and how their process of thinking differs from that of a "normal" person. 

The third and final book that I found useful in my research is The Autistic Brain: Thinking Across the Spectrum. This book talks about the brain in a a person who is Autistic and how they should not be identified by their disorder but by who they are aside from their disorder. 

Research can be very intimidating, especially because now-a-days when so much information is readily available with a click of a button, but knowing what sources; books, magazines, journals, and articles; are accurate for your research can be hard to distinguish. I find it most helpful to use keywords when doing research. 

I hope your research goes well. Good Luck!

Don’t underestimate persons with autism, try to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment